Friday, June 8, 2007

Looooong week.

It's Monday. I need an onion. A red onion. I walk down the driveway and turn right, the long way, the way by the ocean. Walking along, I see the waves between the houses, tipped occasionally with white foam, while the seagulls fight over nothing. The ocean air is smothered by the smell of whatever it is that had just burst into bloom. I don't know what it is, because there's always something new. I breathe deep, enjoying it until the allergies kick in enough to make me sneeze. Walking down the back road along the edge of the cemetary, I grin as the grey sky reminds me of the cool rain earlier in the day. I love this weather.

I pop in to the grocery store and get the onion and some dish soap. Washing everything you own has a way of using up soap. Must remember to get some more laundry soap before the weekend...

We're back in the house. It's a relief, knowing that we're out of the apartment before Bo's grandparents arrive in town, but our bathroom is still far from done. Still, taping garbage bags across the shower stall isn't the end of the world - the lack of toilet until the very end of last week was far more worrying. There's no storage in the bathroom anymore. Correction - I can squash a few rolls of toilet paper in the mini cabinet under the sink, and there will be a small open shelf unit installed above the toilet, but once again we're faced with how to put our things away with no where for them to go. I guess everyone will know what kind of painkillers we have, what colour of eyeshadow I own, and the fact my super-dark-brown hair actually comes from a box.

Lets not talk about the living room yet. Oh my... what a mess.

But oh... supper. We had a bit of chicken in the freezer at the apartment, and as our freezer is more like a "bit below 0°er", I had decided to make this our first night back here, where there was a BBQ. Ohhhh my. If you're going to make this and your chicken is frozen, let it thaw in the marinade, because it comes out soooo creamy and full of flavour!

The week goes on. Little by little the kitchen is cleaned up, and the living room can be slowly tackled as possessions can be returned to their original homes. Wednesday brings a shower door and the hanging of the shelf unit! (crooked, but everything in that bathroom is slightly off kilter. I notice, as years of taking photos and drawing patterns having trained my eye better than I realize most of the time. You may call me picky. You may be happy I am not your customer.)

Wednesday brings bad news. A friend of ours has died. Last year on May 28 T.Paul Ste. Marie suffered a brain aneurysm but survived. Nearly a year to the day later, on May 31, he was found by his friend Ru on his couch. He wasn't a close friend, but I've had too many people die in the last year. He was so full of emotion, fire, passion... I can't help but look at my life and see myself treading water right now. Barely. Not my fault, right? The renos, the mess, the lack of ability and room to do homework, my job... nothing is my fault, but I'm not going forward.

Life continues. Thursday Bo is able to help me at least plan what will go where so we can get this mess under control. And today is Friday - the weekend looms large and welcome. Bo's great aunt has her 75th birthday celebration at the house tomorrow, and I've got some diving planned. I'm going to figure out how to stop just "making it through the week" and start enjoying every day again.

It's good to be back home.

0 comments: