Friday, March 9, 2007

Sunrises...

I've been grumbling about the change in daylight savings time lately because OH MY has that caused a lot of headaches! You know the whole OH NOES! The WORLD will ESPLODE! thing with Y2K? Yeah, this won't be "world will esplode" so much as "everything just kinda grinds to a halt, or gets deleted". There are so many updates and patches we have to do, and lots of testing along the way. We'll see what all died when we wake up on Sunday, though.

However. The part I like? I've been LOVING my drives to work the last little while, as the sun has finally been up early enough that I get to see it. The sunrises are amaaaaazing. The time change means that I will be once again leaving in the dark, but that I get to enjoy the predawn and sunrise creeping up on me.

Let me describe my drive yesterday.


I leave the house. I face east when I'm walking down the driveway, and the sky is filled with the most amazing fushias and purples. The clouds look like the great big piles of handdyed yarn a friend once used to knit an amazing fluffy sweater. I get in the car and head north. The sky is slowly brightening as I turn west for a few blocks - behind me now the sky is still pink, now shot with golden orange as the sun has creeped above the horizon. Ahead of me, the whispy fast moving clouds glow purple, the blue sky around them a brilliant contrast, and then, from behind the purple clouds, a huge silver disk - the moon, shining in icy brilliant competition to the hot glowing sun behind me. Turning north again, I'm flanked on both sides by an everchanging show of colour, a competition to draw my eye... and my car off the road.

As I arrive at the park, the huge trees take over most of what I can see, with just the brightening blue of the clear sky above me until I come to the place where the trees part and I can see east and the strait, the islands, and the mountains beyond, wreathed in golden foggy glory as the sun stretches upwards toward its goal in the sky above.

The moment passes in a flash, and I'm back in the forest. I drive north, catching glimpses of purple, gold, pink, silver, and the the blue overhead. I reach the highway and to my right, the farmland is covered in fog, golden like the scattering of clouds above it. I can see the mountains in the distance, and just make out the towering cone of Mt Baker, highlighted in orange, far way. I make it to my turn, but nearly forget to cross the highway when traffic lets up as I'm distracted by the moon on my left again. I go over the hill, and descend into thick white fog. I can see maybe 20 feet in front of me, and it's all the same billowy, soft white.

The colours of the morning seem like a dream as I pull into the parkade and go inside the building.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible picture you paint! I just enjoyed imagining the scenes as you portrayed them - Awesome. So similar to the gorgeous portrayal Julia has in her blog today! Creation just reflects our awesome Creator!
Thanks for blessing me today with your description Genifer. (mom)